Friday, May 18, 2012

YAHOO!!!! Whales, eagles, sea lions and more. Heard a whale blow in front of the house and ran down to the beach to watch. A humpback whale was feeding just offshore. It went past the house several times on its course around the harbor. As I was watching, a school of minnows headed toward shore and then.................then the water erupted as the whale shot out of the water mouth open. There was whooping and hollering from me and my neighbors. The whale did the mouth-open lunge 3 times and at least twice came up with a side roll and fins flapping. I am guessing the closest it got was about 30 feet offshore to maybe a couple hundred on the circling around the harbor. I watched for the better part of an hour and then it headed toward the mouth of the harbor. Other whales and a whale watching boat could be seen further away outside the harbor. Several sea lions were feeding as well as bald eagles and gulls. Two of the eagles swooped down over my head with their feet ready to snatch fish. They aborted just short of the water and flew back into the trees. YAHOO!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a sight that must have been, Marcia! It would be heaven to me and Joe!

    ReplyDelete