Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pilon de Lolita


Pilon de Lolita aka The Pointy Mountain. A friend said to me recently, "I have been reading your blog and what you call "The Pointy Mountain" is really named Pilon de Lolita". I knew that. Once. Forgot. The name and its story long gone in my mind. Now I have a name and a story to go with it. The story goes: there were sisters living and gardening at the base of the mountain. When the Baja lands were divided and ownership designated for each of the sisters, one sister said: "where is my pilon?" One of the definitions for pilon is: a gratuity given by tradesmen to customers settling their accounts. Or as explained to me, it is like getting 13 instead of 12 for a dozen. The sister was asked: "what do you want for your pilon?" and..........she said: "that mountain!" She was given the mountain as her "little bit extra". Thus, the name: Pilon de Lolita. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment