Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Monday, September 6
The drive from Cache Creek was more like what I usually do on my driveabouts. I searched for a road that would take me to Osoyoos along a route I had never travelled. The road over the mountain thru Ashcroft was my choice. Ashcroft village is a pretty little town that sits along the banks of the Thompson River. Across the river the road climbs steeply for 9-10 miles and has several runaway chutes for the downhill traffic. I drove thru high desert similar to what I have seen in the Oregon outback. On the other side of the mountain is a huge operational copper mine. There are tours available if you ever want to go there.

Followed rivers or streams thru desert, forest, horse country, ranches and agricultural lands . As I neared Osoyoos orchards and wineries were in abundance. The produce stands were filled with apples, pears, tomatoes, corn, and cherries. I was going to be crossing the US border in half and hour so did not stop to buy food that would possibly be confiscated. Will have to check next time to see what I can take into Washington. US Customs did want to know what brand of dog food I was carrying and if it was in the original container. Since I did not have any fresh produce they passed me thru without having to do an inspection.

Saw 2 deer. A doe and this year’s fawn eating beside the road.

Continued on to Spokane, WA via Scenic Highway 20 to Kettle Falls and then down the 395. This section of highway 20 was mostly forested, quite curvy and crossed two mountain passes. Chet prefers the smoothness of freeway travel and was nervous with all the curves. We stopped a lot to let Chet walk about.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice driveabout so far! This is a terrific time of year to be traveling, the fall colors are gorgeous. I was coming up the Mat Valley towards Glennallen today, and the views were marvelous! No pictures, because they were on the white-knuckle sections of the road, with no turnoffs. I'm in Gakona now, not at the lodge, it was booked, but a bit farther down the road. Has wi-fi, if not much else! But it's not sleeping in my car!!!

    ReplyDelete