Friday, December 11, 2009

Dec 7 - 11 Guerrero Negro to Los Barriles







Dec 7 & 8 Santispac Beach on Bay of Concepcion
Spent two nights dry camping on Santispac Beach on Bay of Concepcion. This bay is beautiful and on drivebys, I have seen campers on the shore and have wanted to do that. Went swimming here. The first dip was cool, but fine after that. Not just fine, but Wonderful! Chet had a few swims too while fetching sticks. That is our guide Dustin in the hammock and his dog LaLa in the water with Chet. LaLa is not a swimmer, but she likes to steal sticks and after stealing a stick out of Chet's mouth, he would just drop them for her to take.
Once we got over the mountain range from Guerrero Negro it was warmer and I put on my shorts.
The drive from Guerrero Negro is long and straight for the first 80 miles or so with just a couple gentle bends in the road. On the drive we passed thru the 3 Virgins volcano area with a lot of lava hills. Roads are being widened here and there and make for easier driving. Baja got Federal Highway money and have been building new higher bridges to withstand the Tropical Storms that occur in August and September. I asked about the airport in Guerrero Negro and it doesn't seem to be for regular flights, just private charters and such. The town of Guerrero Negro is named after a ship of same name that sank here years ago. The name means: Black Warrior. The hotel Malarrimo is named after one of the local bays. If I remember correctly, it means: Bad Entrance. The Malarrimo Bay has an estuary at one end and strong currents at the other. Thus; the name Bad Entrance.
We finally reached the mountains and it is a winding road up to the summit and a steep descent to the shores of the Sea of Cortez. Going down the Baja, Highway 1 moves back and forth from the west side to the east side. Each time you drive across Baja you have to drive a narrow winding road up the mountains to a summit and then descend on a narrow winding (curva peligroso! the signs say) road to the other side.

Dec 9 Santispac Beach to Ciudad Constitucion
We are in a Motel and RV park named Palapa 206. I will go along with the group to the end at Los Barriles, stay a few day and drive back north to Loreto where I will stay thru January.

Dec 11 Arrived in Los Barriles yesterday afternoon. This RV park sits right on the Sea of Cortez and I can watch the ocean and sunrises from my spot. Have spent a lot of time the past couple days getting my Mexico phone re-activated. Still a few more things to do once I get back to my calling area in Loreto. The computer for the service I want "was down" in LaPaz. Supposedly, I can complete the function by phone in Loreto. With this service I can call 5 preprogrammed International for a low fixed rate in 15 minute blocks of time. Can also do up to 25 Telcel customers in Mexico for same price.
Chet and I just had breakfast on the beach and now I will try and get online to post this message as you haven't heard from me for awhile.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment