Monday, December 14, 2009

San Bartolo and drive to Loreto
















Had a wonderful little side trip on the drive up to Loreto. Only went to Cd. Constitucion yesterday where I stayed at Palapa 206 RV Park and Motel. Dustin, BajaWinters Guide, came along as far as Palapa 206. He was headed north to San Juanico on the Pacific shore. The side trip was to a Spring at San Bartolo. San Bartolo is a small town a few miles north of Los Barriles and there in the walls of the dry river canyon water spews out out of the ground. It is not a dribble, but flowing streams and pools. The picture I will show you is one of the pools of clear water. Nearby, the city has a building with a pump to collect water. Water flows out of this pool into a man-made rectangular pool where people come to swim and cows come to drink downstream. The oasis is filled with many different trees including a grapefruit. Dustin managed to get a grapefruit out of the tree for us to eat. It was extra sour, but especially nice on a hot day. I recommend this stop if you are driving by.
Had a restful night and left this morning for my drive from Cd. Constitucion to Loreto. It is a drive of about 100 miles and 20-30 miles are in the Sierra Gigante Mtns. I love the beauty of these mountains. The mountain drive is narrow and winding..............like the old coast highway in Oregon or the highway to Sequoia in California. The rest of the drive is straight and flat. I missed the turn for Loreto in Insurgentes so drove thru the town, asked some construction workers the direction to Loreto. Yep, I had missed the turn. A lot of waving and pointing " It's back that way and over there". Thought I probably had missed the turn when I passed the turnoff to Lopez Mateos (A whale watching place at Magdelena Bay) So, turned around, went back thru Insurgentes, got gas and more directions........." 3 somethings and a roundybout" (all done with gestures and pointing,but it worked). I saw the sign to Loreto and the roundybout with a large scupture in the middle this time. Turns out there was no sign to Loreto when coming from the south.............it blew down in hurricane Jimena and hasn't been put back up yet. It is amazing to see how quickly some areas can recover after a storm with restoring power, fixing washouts, etc. A sign to Loreto is probably pretty low on their list of fixes. Midway thru the roundybout I point and holler at a constuction worker: "Loreto?" He hollers back "Si!" and I am on my way. One of my favorite views is just as you drive down the mountain and get a view of the Sea of Cortez with mangrove shores leading to Loreto. Ahhhhhhhhhh, I hope you enjoy the picture as I do.

Am settled into my little home away from home at Loreto Shores Villas y RV Park for at least a month. Come see me and Chet. Loreto has hotels and there are Villas here that can be rented. This park also has a swimming pool.

Adios for now...........time to stretch out and read my book.
ps. Those are goats crossing the highway at a crosswalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment