Friday, November 4, 2011

Just a day in Loreto

Began my day before sunrise. Linda and I walked over to the marina for coffee and to sit and watch the sunrise. Light begins about 6:30, but the sun doesn't show above Carmen Island until after 7 this time of year. Then we walked the length of the Malecon (sidewalk along the shore) and back thru down for breakfast at Orlando's when they opened at 8.

The rest of my day was lazy except for doing some laundry and hanging it out to dry. I love the smell of laundry that has been dried outdoors. Caught up on my emails, phone calls with Skype and reading. Am reading John Grisham's "The Associate".

Had Pinto, another sea bass similar to Cabrilla, for dinner last night. The 'Davis' Pescadoria is just a half block from my house. The family cleans and processes the day's catch behind their home and that is where you go to buy fresh fish. There are several family locations in Loreto and the Davis Pescadoria is recommended as the best for cleanliness and fresh fish.

Pinto was selling for 70 pesos a kilo and Cabrilla for 110 pesos a kilo. Current exchange rate is 12-13 pesos/dollar.

I coated the fish with oil, seasonings and bread crumbs and fried and served with sauteed broccoli, squash, tomato, onion, orange pepper and sliced avocado.

After dinner, I took a walk to the town plaza and over to the Malecon in the cooler evening breeze. Also did a bit of shopping for household stuff as more stores are open late. Saw Joani and her neighbors at Orlando's. Stopped by the shoe store around the corner (where I drop off clothes to be washed) and was given a gift of pretty shells. Not sure why the gift, but it is fun getting to know the people at the shop.

Watched "Second Hand Lions" before falling asleep about midnight. Am slowly working my way thru a 2 foot high stack of vhs tapes of movies I have never seen and some I want to see again.

Life is slow, warm and easy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment